Strategies for the uptake of the bystanders’ interventions in life-threatening emergencies

Raising awareness on the bystanders' role

Elsa

Stylianos

I think the best tool for raising awareness on bystander’s role is the training. Spots from the state on tv shows or articles which will show the value of the bystander’s role on the emergency health situation. Discussion in school to show to young people this value

Elsa

I agree. Awareness rising should also promoted by NGOs and civil society organisations at the local level which can better reach out to society highlighting the best practices and put the light on the the unknown role of the bystander

Johannes

I think I have read somewhere, that a primary issue here is the simple human (mammal) nature: When something extraordinary happens, we instinctively want to understand the situation and find out if we are in danger – so Turning back in such cases is something that is difficult to control. The main problem is that the more people do something, the less reprehensible it seems to the individual. When a group stands around an injured person and gazes or films them, this objectively bad behavior becomes more and more “normal” for an individual. Many of them therefore only stare passively at the scene or even block access.

Therefore there is a simple but quite effective approach: Addressing people and reflecting to them that their behavior is not okay. Another strategy that rescue workers use is to involve the audience, for example like this: “Put your cell phone away, I have a job for you!”

Individuals who have been directly confronted with it have thus been effectively “removed” from the crowd and could even have a supportive effect.

Is this something you have experienced yourself? Does that make sense?

Alexander
    Organizer

I also believe that the best way to uptake the role of bystanders during emergencies is to train more lay people in CPR, tourniquet use, and other life-saving techniques. An example is the one hour training course created by the American College of Emergency Physicians and conducted by emergency physicians that teach basic life-saving skills to their community. The initiative aims to educate and empower citizens to provide first care before professional help arrives, because every minute counts when dealing with a critical injury or illness. To learn more about the initiative, please visit: https://untilhelparrivesshop.com/pages/about-us

I am curious to know what the representatives of the Italian Resuscitation Council think about that?!