Casualty Tracking and Coordination

Wireless technology applied in tracking victims

Sabine

Hi dear members of “Casualty Tracking And Coordination” group!

Tracking victims is a challenge in EMS scene management of multicausality incidents. Wireless technology which is widely available allows the tracking of victims involved in an emergency in the early development of the incident. Nevertheless, electronic devices can fail due to weather situation and therefore need to be widely available and operable b the EMS personnel.

Please share what do you thing regarding this challenge and share possible solutions.

Andrés

I am not sure if it is has been already deemed as an improvement, but combining wireless and GPS localisation with infrared sensors seems to me to be a better option, since you are right about the possible malfunctioning of electronic devices.

Stylianos

I think is very useful to have data in real-time on disaster situation. Maybe can fail in the weather situation or due transmission difficulties but these devices still keeping the data in the arrival in the hospital even they couldn’t transmit on the move.

Alexander

Dear EMS Network members, i came across an article on technology which can
    detect victums through walls and other barriers using WLAN-like signals. The so-called “Through Wall Sensing” system is based on a prototype from the ETH Zurich, which has now been further developed. The heart of the system is the “Software Defined Radio Platform” (SDR) developed at the BFH. This is the generation of a radio wave in a similar frequency range and of a similar strength to WLAN. The original article can be found here: https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000079168193/wlan-aehnliches-signal-erlaubt-blick-durch-waende.

Alexander

Hallo dear EMS Network members,

A new method to detect movement or even respiratory disorder was developed by the start-up Origin Wireless aiming at the provision of an alternative to the classic alarm systems. The technology, which is known as a “time-reversing machine”, only requires two routers in the mesh network and can detect changes in the room with an accuracy of one to two centimeters with little delay.

The main router sends out a signal that is received by the other routers, the so-called “bots”. The signal is checked for changes more than 50 times per second, which is determined with precision using an algorithm. In this way, breathing can be recognized in addition to movement after just one minute.

The technology could also be used to detect an emergency, such as a passed out or fallen person. For example, the system could classify a sudden change, such as falling to the ground, as well as a subsequent unchanged situation – if the person lies motionless – as a possible emergency and call the rescue.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by  Alexander.